Enroll A Child
Research shows that all children regardless of their family situation can benefit from a mentor outside the family. We serve children from all walks of life. Growing up isn't easy with all the pressures and challenges that children face in today's society. Having a Big Brother or Big Sister can support you by being a special friend and role model, helping your child to develop self-esteem and the confidence necessary to become a confident, competent and caring adult.
Please be assured that we take pride and care in finding the best match for your child and supporting you and your child throughout the duration of the match. Your child's safety is very important to us and each volunteer completes a thorough screening process. You are involving your child in a program that is part of a national organization that ensures Standards of Excellence. Matches are based on similarities in personality, interests and preferences. Mentoring takes place through the conversations, opportunities and activities that the volunteers provide.
If you are interested in enrolling a child in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program, the following details the enrollment process.
- Call the Big Brothers Big Sisters office to schedule a parent interview. View Child Eligibility Requirements.
- A separate interview will be held with your child in your home.
- Once enrolled in the program, the child is placed on a waiting list until the appropriate volunteer has been identified. The children are not matched in the order they come into the program.
- Factors, such as personality, interests, preferences of the parent and volunteer, and needs of the child, are used to match the child to a volunteer.
- The parent has the opportunity to meet with the volunteer prior to the match so that both have a choice in the final decision.